Wrestling Season Approaches

John Rick, Inside BHS Editor

The high school wrestling season starts this weekend. The BHS wrestlers started off the season with a competition at St. Edwards. This team hopes to start off the season with a good performance in order to build some momentum for the rest of the season.

Last year Beavercreek won the East division of the Greater Western Ohio Conference (GWOC), but did not win the GWOC title. Springboro won the GWOC title last year. The Beavercreek wrestling team is trying to take the GWOC title from Springboro this year. 

The Beavercreek wrestling team has a total of 55 kids on the team. They practice every day and have a competition every week. This is a busy schedule of competitions but team is doing what they need to do to be prepared for all of these competitions.

The wrestling season is a long season. The state tournament for wrestling happens in March. With practices every day and competitions every week, the team has a long season ahead of them. 

Mr. Clinger, one of the coaches of the Beavercreek wrestling team, said, “We have high expectations for this team.” The coaches believes the team will do good this season. There are 14 seniors returning to the team this year. Hopefully the seniors can lead the rest of the team to a gwoc title and a tournament run. 

The returning seniors have a big responsibility for this team. They will need to lead the younger members of the team and also show leadership. 

The team has a lot of talent this year. Along with all the returning seniors, the team also has nine returning sectional wrestlers that will be a great help to the team. One of these sectional wrestlers is Gavin Bell. Gavin Bell is a returning state placer who will be a great help to this team. Last year he placed fifth place in state. 

Hopefully the team will meet their high expectations for this season.