High School Musical: The Musical: The Series – a New Hit 

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series - a New Hit 

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

Disney Plus has released a new original series based on the movie High School Musical. As a fictional show about high schoolers trying to put on a production of High School Musical, you are bound to be captivated with each episode. Paige Linville, a junior at Beavercreek High School, says “It does a great job of putting a more relatable spin on the original movie.” 

The characters actually attend the school where the original High School Musical (the movie) was filmed, falling into their roles with particular elements from the movie switched around. The main characters include the star of the show, Nini, the transfer student, Gina, the athlete, EJ, and the singer, Ricky. Nini acts as the protagonist in this riveting high school journey, as she must choose between two boys while, at the same time, dealing with the stress of high school and theater. She surprises everyone with her talent for singing and acting, starring as Gabriella in the school play. A lively woman, Ms. Jenn, takes on the role of an acting teacher and strives to put on the best production of High School Musical the school had ever seen. 

The frolic and fun bantering make the series that much more enjoyable. The audience is aimed towards tweens and teens, with many relatable scenes involved. All of the pieces come together to form a great show about a drama teacher and theater kids who are trying to put on the best production of High School Musical they can, forming unexpected bonds and friendships along the way.