Why students should take part in school activities

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

Students often believe that taking part in extracurricular activities will result in their grades being worse.  This is actually not the truth. In fact, studies have shown that participation in extracurricular activities have resulted with higher grades, more positive attitudes towards school, and higher academic aspirations.

One major benefit of participating in extracurricular activities is an increase in self-esteem.  As you achieve success in those activities that you are passionate about, your self-esteem will improve.  Along with this, as you participate in these activities your social opportunities can improve; One of the easiest ways to make new friends is through extracurricular activities. 

Mrs. Laws, the head of the Beavercreek guidance department, states that “Research has shown that students involved in extracurricular activities have higher chances of success.” This success could include higher grades, lower chance of mental health, etc.  She also states that “having ownership in your school or community helps you develop empathy.”  

It is also important to note that although involving yourself in extracurricular activities in your school and community can be very beneficial for you, it becomes a problem when you can’t balance it with school.  Mrs. Laws states that when it comes to problems like these, you must think of “quality over quantity.” This means that it is good to have fewer activities that you are involved in and can manage rather than a ton of activities that you are only slightly involved in.