Impeachment Trial Continues 

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

President Donald Trump, the incumbent president of the United States, was impeached by the US House of Representatives for abuse of power and obstruction of congress. Looking back, it was on September 24, 2019, that the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, initiated the impeachment proceedings. Specifically, it was alleged that Donald Trump withheld military aid in order to pressure the president of Ukraine to announce an investigation into Joe Biden and his son Hunter. 

On October 31, The House of Representatives voted 232-196, to establish procedures for public hearings. The Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Adam Schiff, accused Trump of bribery, which is listed as an impeachable offense in Article Two. 

To view these events in a broader context, this is the third time in history that the Senate is holding an impeachment trial to decide on whether to remove a president from office. The previous Presidents that were in this situation were President Andrew Johnson and President Bill Clinton. Even if the trial is as short as possible, it is overlapping with the 2020 presidential campaign and possibly even the President’s State of Union address. 

Mr. Eric Cusick, a Beavercreek High School Government teacher condenses the events into the following powerful summary. “This impeachment trial is a political battle that will disrupt the election of 2020. It’s an extremely important event in American history.” 

The likelihood of Trump being convicted is low because it would take twenty Senate Republicans to join the 47 Senate Democrats to obtain the needed 67 votes to remove him from office. As of right now, no Republican senator has said that Trump’s actions are impeachable. If Trump is convicted, the Constitution says he must be instantly removed from office, but there are no restrictions on whether he can run for office again.