Highlights From The Super Bowl

John Rick, Inside BHS Section Editor

Last Sunday, February 2, 2020 the Kansas City Chiefs beat the San Francisco 49ners in the Super Bowl. The score was 31-20. The Kansas City Chiefs scored 21 unanswered points to win the Super Bowl in a comeback victory. 

Patrick Mahomes, the quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs, was awarded MVP (most valuable player) for the superbowl. In the Super Bowl Patrick Mahomes threw for two touchdowns and rushed for one touchdown. He had a 61.9% completion rate and threw two interceptions. His quarterback rating was 78.1.

Some people belive that Damien Williams, the running back for the Chiefs, should have gotten MVP. Cole Baker, a junior at Beavercreek High School, said, “I believe Damien Williams should have gotten MVP instead of Patrick Mahomes.”

When the Chiefs were down 0-3 they had a fourth and one from around the 49ners five yard-line they decided to go for it. The Chiefs had Sammy Watkins, Patrick Mahomes, and Damien Williams in the backfield. All three of them spinned and then the snap went directly to Damien Williams who ran for a four yard gain. This play lead to a touchdown which the Chiefs got on the next play.      

Late in the second quarter the 49ners scored a 15 yard touchdown. The touchdown was a pass from Jimmy Garapalo the full back Kyle Juszczyk. 

Throughout the came there were four turnovers, two on each team. Jimmy Garapalo threw two interceptions and Patrick Mahomes did the same. 

With six minutes left in the fourth quarter Patrick Mahomes threw a touchdown pass from the one yard-line to Travis Kelce. This brought the game to a score of 20-17.

Then with less than 3 minutes left in the game Patrick Mahomes threw a touch down pass to Damien Williams to take the lead and complete a ten point comeback. The game ended with a score of 31-20 and the chiefs as the champions.