Impeachment Trial Ends

Mark Rick, Opinion Section Editor

The impeachment trial of President Donald Trump started on January 16, 2020, meaning that it is finally over. The vote on whether to remove Donald Trump from office was Wednesday, February 5, at 4 p.m. The senate vote was 52-48 to acquit Trump on the charge of abuse of power. This wasn’t surprising to anyone because to convict a president, there needs to be a two-thirds supermajority vote. This is very hard to get. 

The impeachment trial became a very partisan issue. Almost all Republicans believe he shouldn’t be impeached, while almost all Democrats believed he should be impeached. It was very unlikely that Trump would be impeached because there is a republican majority in the senate.

After each party delivered its argument for either acquitting Trump or convicting him, the Senate voted to not have any witnesses in the trial. Many democrats were upset because they believed a trial without witnesses is unfair, but republicans argued that you shouldn’t need witnesses if the president is innocent. 

In the vote to convict all democrats voted to convict, and all republicans except for one republicans voted to acquit. The one exception to the very partisan vote was Senator Mitt Romney. Romney delivered a very emotional speech on his decision to vote to convict Trump. In his speech he explained that his oath to the country and his devotion to god and his morals caused him to vote to convict Trump.

For many Beavercreek students, this is one of the first major government events that they will see. Many believe it’s sad that the first example of government students have seen is so partisan. AP Gov student, Ben Albrecht, says, “the impeachment should be a matter of whether it was a crime or not, instead it was a partisan debate where one party was for and the other against.”