Bowling into Victory

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

Bowling has been popular with millions of people for thousands of years. There has always been a debate over whether or not bowling is really a sport. However, bowling takes more athleticism and skill than people may realize. It requires a great deal of energy; a person has to be physically fit to bowl many games and have high endurance to bowl over the same mark.

At Beavercreek High School, the boys’ bowling team is going strong this season with a record of 10-0. The girls are also doing well, with a record of 8-2. The teams usually have matches 2-3 times a week. On the girls’ side, the best player is Paige Rockwell; on the boys’ side, Seth Koloski and Michael Donahue are the top players. Allison Gaines, a member of the team, says “I love the anticipation of every ball and determining if it will strike or not. I also love improving my individual game and building bonds with my teammates.” The teams practice on Tuesday’s and Friday’s at Beaver Vu Bowl.

For a competitive bowler, it is true that tiny changes to your form can have a huge effect on where the ball goes and how many pins it topples. There are several significant annual bowling tournaments for a competitive bowler. The biggest one is called the National Bowling Association, which holds a yearly championship in Nevada. Other smaller competitions are held individually in every state.

Bowling is a game of nuance. A game of bowling consists of 10 frames, in which a bowler has two chances per frame to knock down all ten pins. So when someone says “per game” or “per game per person”, that means each 10 full frames, bowled by each person.