Winning your heart: Valentine’s Day

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

Valentine’s Day is an internationally recognized holiday that occurs every year on February 14. For people across the United States and in other places around the world, items such as flowers, candy, and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine. But who is this mysterious saint and where did these traditions come from?

This history of Valentine’s Day and the story of its patron saint is shrouded in mystery. The origin of Valentine’s Day is believed to have come from an ancient Roman holiday called Lupercalia, which celebrated fertility, and included a ritual in which men and women were paired off by choosing names from a jar. In later centuries, this tradition evolved into St. Valentine’s Day, which commemorated a martyred Catholic saint known as Valentine. He was known for performing weddings for soldiers forbidden to marry and was added to the calendar around 500 AD. 

At Beavercreek High School, Valentine’s Day is a special day for many. Emily Macbeth agrees, mentioning that “Valentine’s Day is a really cute and special holiday. My mom has always gotten me things so it’s always been exciting and something I look forward to.” People come to school dressed up in different shades of red with flowers and delicious chocolates to share. Those in relationships send each other notes and spend time with each other. The day is filled with love and laughter, and many enjoy it around the school.