Come to Weekend of Jazz

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

This coming weekend is the Beavercreek High School Weekend of Jazz!  The BHS Weekend of Jazz is just as you might expect: a weekend filled with jazz music.  Every year for the Weekend of Jazz, two famous jazz groups come and perform for students and adults alike in the Beavercreek area, but that doesn’t mean only Beavercreek residents come to see it; people from all over Ohio come to see these amazing performances.  Along with the two famous jazz groups that perform, many high school jazz bands come from around the area to perform during the day on Saturday.

This year Beavercreek is privileged to have The Huntertones and The Yellow Jackets come to the Weekend of Jazz to perform!  These are both amazing groups that are sure to give some amazing performances. The Huntertones will perform Friday night at 8:00 and The Yellow Jackets will perform Saturday night at 8:00. Tickets for both concerts are significantly cheaper than anywhere else you might go to see them. Here is some background information for the two groups.

The Huntertones is a group that formed in Columbus, Ohio and is now based in Brooklyn, NY.  They’ve performed in over 20 countries worldwide and continue to tour the U.S. and abroad. Their latest release, Passport, is a collection of songs inspired by their experiences sharing music with people from all over the world.

The Yellowjackets is an outstanding quartet that has received numerous Grammy nominations and two Grammy wins, and place regularly in the Downbeat and Jazz times best ensemble category.  For their concert on Saturday they will be joined by Aaron Janik and Matt Richards from USC Thornton School of Music Jazz Studies Program.

You won’t want to miss either of these amazing performances this coming weekend!  You can buy your tickets at http://weekendofjazz.org/.