How to Prepare For the Blood Drive

Mark Rick, Opinion Section Editor

Many BHS students signed up for the blood drive held at BHS on March 5. Donating blood will save many lives and will help us keep enough blood in our community for blood transfusions. A junior at BHS who is participating in the Blood Drive, Cole Baker, says, “I signed up for the Blood Drive because I have a friend who is personally affected by blood donations and I want to help her and others who need blood.” Blood donation is very important and helps a lot of people, but students must prepare correctly to donate safely. 

It’s very important that participants in the blood drive drink plenty of water every day 4-5 days before your donation. Participants should drink half their body weight in ounces every day. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds you would drink 80 ounces every day 4-5 days before. Drinking this water will allow for a faster and smoother donation. The Blood Drive is on Thursday, March 5, so you should start drinking your required amount of water on Saturday, February 29 and no later than Sunday, March 1.

Participants must eat 1 hour before their donation. High protein foods are recommended. Participants donating in the morning should eat a high protein breakfast like eggs. Participants who are donating in the afternoon should consider bringing in high protein snacks like protein bars or cheese. The time of your appointment will be texted and/or emailed to you a few days before your donation, so you can know how to prepare. Also, a Student Council member will pick you up from your class for your appointment, so don’t leave your class by yourself. 

When you go to donate, you must know what vaccinations you have received in the past 6 months. If you aren’t sure what vaccinations you have received, ask your parents, doctors, or school nurse for a list of them. You also need to bring a photo ID with your date of birth on it to the Blood Drive.