Managing Stress as Teenagers

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

Teenagers have to juggle a lot of academic as well as non-academic pursuits, especially with their busy schedules as they go through high school. This can lead to stress, the clinical definition of which is the way your body responds to challenges and prepares you to deal with them. Many students get burned out by the end of high school because of the stress and anxiety that has caught up with them. 

According to mental-health surveys, today’s teenagers are the most anxious ever and have no problem admitting it. Dealing with the pressures of society, getting good grades, balancing extracurriculars, and forming relationships are extremely overwhelming.

Managing stress is one of the most important things you can do to live a healthy lifestyle. Ana Pohlmann, a junior at Beavercreek High School, says that she “takes a break and does her work after her brain has been refreshed” if she begins to feel stressed. There are several other things you can do to combat stress. Identifying your problem will help you address and resolve the issue. Learning to let things go and be easier on yourself allows you to feel less upset when something goes wrong. Exercise stimulates your body and allows you to release the emotions you have kept up in your body. Eating and sleeping well helps you feel energized and awake. Doing all these things will also improve your mentality and outlook on life.

Nonetheless, not all stress is bad. According to Leonard Academic, personal, athletic, and social stress have been regarded as “good stress” for high schoolers. Stress causes the neurons in your body to go off and can stimulate a faster reaction, allowing you to stay alert and work harder. However, if the stress is chronic, it can have various negative effects on your body. It is important to realize that stress is inevitable, especially in high school, and the only way to get through it is to learn to deal with it effectively and constructively.