Spring Break

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

The past two weeks of nationally-mandated spring break have been stressful as well as relaxing. I was happy to have time to sleep in and relax from the pressures of high school, but I also exhausted every endeavor inside and around my home. Now that I have been home for a while, I have started to miss the social aspect of life and seeing my friends and teachers. As the days are rolling by, I am beginning to grasp how unstable life is right now for the entire world. The screaming headlines all over the internet exclaim that we are in the middle of a global pandemic; six billion people are being ravaged by a microscopic virus that cannot even be seen by the human eye.

My family has been practicing social distancing, making sure to stay at home and sanitize every item that comes from outside. Social media has allowed me to communicate with my friends, so I am able to keep in touch with them and talk over FaceTime. My circle includes my friends, parents, grandparents, and three younger brothers. I asked Mohsin, my seven-year-old brother, what his take on spring break was, and he instantly exclaimed, “I love that we have no school!” My brother Sajjad, who is a year and a half younger than me, sadly moaned, “Now I won’t get my driver’s permit next month.” My grandmother’s take on the situation was, “When will I be able to go shopping again?” It’s interesting how different members of my family have such widely contrasting answers of their experience. I don’t know when life will return to normal, and the uncertainty is quite unnerving. Sitting here in my room, I can only hope and pray that things will bounce back soon and we will be able to get back on track.