Think About Your Habits

Think About Your Habits

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

One great habit I have developed since we have been quarantined is consistent exercise. Sometimes, we don’t realize the importance of being active. Exercise causes the body to release endorphins, which then trigger a good feeling in your body. It gives you a sense of accomplishment at having achieved a goal, and the benefits are countless. It has been proven to decrease feelings of depression, anxiety, and stress. Inactivity is a major factor in weight gain and obesity, and exercise can help combat that. Healthline says that “Your body spends energy in three ways: digesting food, exercising, and maintaining body functions like your heartbeat and breathing.” Dieting will reduce your calorie intake and delay weight loss, while exercise increases your metabolic rate and increases weight loss. 

One bad habit that I have developed during quarantine is staying up late at night. New Atlas tracked 433, 268 subjects for six-and-a-half-years, and found that “Night owls were also seen to have higher rates of diabetes and psychological or neurological disorders.” Going to bed late is bad for your health, and you should try to get more sleep. It is important to have a good routine, even especially because you are home every day. Ultimately, self-care very important and can lead to a better lifestyle.