Unearthing Zoom

Sarah Khobaib, Student Journalist

With millions of people being forced to stay at home to help stop the spread of COVID-19, the Zoom platform of video conferencing has all of a sudden become very popular amongst people of all ages. Schools have taken the initiative to incorporate them into their lesson plans, and teens have hosted their own virtual prom. Zoom can be used for almost anything: work conferences, interviews, school, family calls, trivia nights, and birthday parties. Danya Ghussin, a junior at Beavercreek High School, says, “Zoom has been really helpful for school and online sessions. I love how easy it is to use and how my friends and I can meet together whenever we want to.” 

The plans on Zoom range all the way from Zoom Basic to Zoom Enterprise. Zoom Basic is free and offers a meeting with up to 100 participants but is limited to forty minutes for group meetings. Zoom Enterprise costs $19.99 a month, includes 500 participants, and has no time limit. In my own experience, Zoom has become a big part of my daily life. Besides school, I use it to attend and organize sessions for my youth group, where we are able to listen to speakers give lectures or even just play online games with one another. The functionality and efficiency is awesome, as it allows me to view other participants in several different modes, decide whether or not to turn on my microphone or camera, and split the participants into breakout rooms.