Athletic Training

While playing high school sports, it’s important that we have athletic trainers to help us stay safe. That is why we have some of the best athletic trainers at Beavercreek High School like Kevin Swartz and Katie DeWilde, who went to Wright State University. We also have Chris Cleverly, who went to Ohio State University. They all have an undergraduate in athletic training which “…takes 4 years of undergraduate schooling and then [we had to pass a] national certification test and an Ohio license exam as well in order to practice [here]…” Swartz explained. Unfortunately, there was a new change recently that states athletic trainers now have to have at least a master’s degree, which is five to six years of education. 

All of our Beavercreek trainers stay at high school until 11 p.m. sometimes, depending on how many students need help. “It varies daily, [but] normally I work with 20-30 athletes,” Cleverly told me. Along with sports, athletic trainers also work around 33 other kids by teaching them to be a trainer.  Swartz told me how to be an athletic trainer and he mentioned that “We have about 15 high school student aides this fall. We help them get CPR/first aid certified and teach them basic medical skills and taping, they are able to watch the profession and what it involves closely.” And since the Coronavirus happened there were changes that needed to be made, Which DeWilde talked to me about, it includes more “…cleaning of equipment. We now wear gloves, masks, and goggles when working hands-on with the athletes.”  It is helpful that they clean more equipment because of how many times they have to run onto the court/field during games. It is crazy how much the trainers deal with, ranges from blood to torn ACLs or dislocations.