Why Blended Learning is Better Than All In School

John Rick, Inside BHS Section Editor

Beavercreek High School started blended learning on Monday, October 19th. On Mondays and Wednesdays students with last names with the first letter being A-K go to school. On Tuesdays and Thursdays students with last names with the first letter being L-Z go to school. On days that students are not in school they have online assignments to do, and every student has online assignments on Fridays because no one is in school those days. 

I personally have had a good experience with blended learning. I have been staying on top of my work and have even been more productive at home than in-school. Blended learning also gives me an opportunity to catch up on sleep that I couldn’t get with all in-person school. This is because on my online days I do not need to get up at a specific time of the day; I just have to get all my work done at some point throughout the day. 

I could see how blended learning could end up going badly. For example, if a student decides not to do his/her online work, or if a teacher is providing students with proper resources to learn. I think that this is a problem to address with the teachers and students and not a problem that is because of blended learning. 

Cole Baker, a senior at Beavercreek High School, said, “Blended learning is better than normal schooling because it allows students time to sleep on off days and keep a better balance of school and life. Blended learning also lowers the risk of transferring COVID-19 from student to student, and it prepares students for college where you do not go to the same structured classes every day.”