Why Normal School is Better than Blended Learning

Mark Rick, Opinion Section Editor

With the rising number of cases of COVID-19 Beavercreek has switched to blended learning for the past two weeks. Blending learning means that on Monday and Wednesday students with a last name that starts with A-K go in person to school and students with last names starting with L-Z go in person on Tuesday and Thursday.  On days that you aren’t in school teachers are required to have work for you to do from home. Friday is designated as an online day.

Blended learning has created a lot of extra work for teachers. Teachers were already under extra stress due to COVID-19 and this gives the teachers another class. Along with teaching in person days they have to give the other half of their kids an assignment to do. 

Another problem with blended learning is it can separate some kids from their friends. For example, if you’re a student in the first half of the alphabet and the rest of your friends are in the second half of the alphabet you won’t see them at all. The only way you would is if you see them outside of school, which then ruins the point of splitting up the school. In some cases blended learning can isolate students. 

For students it’s much easier to learn with in-person instruction. Senior at Beavercreek High School, Ben Albrecht, says, “being in person more often is better for learning because we get more time with lessons and more face to face interactions with the teacher.” If students and teachers follow the guidelines we can keep the risk low, while maintaining a better learning environment for everyone.