Browns Take the Win

John Rick, Inside BHS Section Editor

On Sunday January 11, 2021, the Cleveland Browns defeated the The Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wildcard round of the NFL playoffs. This was a monumental moment for the team, city, and the many Browns fans that have stuck with the team. 

This year the Browns ended a playoff drought by making the playoffs for the first time since 2003. Just making the playoffs was a great accomplishment for this season, but the Browns now have their first playoff win since 1994. This season the Browns have accomplished so much, but they still are looking to go further and possibly win a superbowl. 

The fact that the win was against the Steelers is also a huge achievement. The Browns haven’t beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh in 17 years, until yesterday. The Steelers and The Browns is a divisional rivalry that the Steelers have dominated for a long time. Maybe this will switch the tides for the Browns. 

The odds were also stacked against the Browns on January 11. They had several players not playing in the game due to Covid-19 precautions. The head coach for the Browns, Kevin Stefanski, was also unable to be at the game because he had recently tested positive for Covid-19. He was watching the game in his basement alone and with his phone turned off. Despite all of these obstacles for the Browns they beat the Steelers who started the season 11-0. 

Micah Wilson, a staff member and Browns fan at Beavercreek High School, said, “It’s been a long 18 year playoff drought, and an even longer 26 years without a playoff win. It was fantastic to see the team respond to major adversity, with four coaches and even more players missing due to COVID19, and words cannot do justice to what this means to me as a Browns fan or the city of Cleveland over the last 3 decades.”