How the Levy Failure Could Affect the District

Emily Macbeth, Staff Writer

On January 9th, 2021, the Board of Education met to discuss the consequences of the possible levy failure in May. The Board discussed the reduction and elimination of staff, programs, transportation, and extracurricular activities. 

The budget cuts will affect the whole district, starting with the elimination of many possibilities that enrich students’ education. The elementary schools will lose all special classes like art, music and physical education. The middle schools will lose many of their encore classes. Every student will be required to take a study hall and will no longer have the opportunity to take scholarship and honors courses in middle and high school. The high school will also lose AP courses along with many of its elective courses. Senior TJ Holte says, “Everything that makes Beavercreek such a good city to go to school in is at risk here. I can’t imagine how different my life would be if it wasn’t for specials in elementary school, or honors and AP classes in high school.” These losses will drastically change the education system for the students in Beavercreek. 

Field trips and professional development for staff are among the eliminated programs if the levy does not pass. More seriously, mental health support for students will be significantly reduced. Junior Amelia Leonard says, “I fear the loss of the mental health assistance for students. I think everyone knows someone who has reached out to get help from the school, and knowing that those services may not be there is extremely worrying.” Especially with the nature of the world right now, these are services that are needed that would be a major loss to the school. 

Transportation has already been a major issue that the district has faced in recent years. If the levy doesn’t pass, the high school will no longer have any buses, and grades K-8 will have a reduced area of eligibility for busing. If the levy were to pass in May, none of these cuts would be necessary and all the schools could continue on as normal.