A Look Ahead to the AFC and NFC Championship

John Rick, Inside BHS Section Editor

This Sunday two important games are happening in the National Football League (NFL). First, the Green Bay Packers play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the National Football Conference (NFC) Championship. Then, the Kansas City Chiefs play the Buffalo Bills in the Atlantic Football Conference (AFC) Championship. The winners of these two matches will take home their conference title and get to play in the Super Bowl for a chance to lift the Lombardi Trophy. 

The AFC Championship is a battle between the top two teams in that conference. The Kansas City Chiefs are last year’s Super Bowl champions and are looking to win a consecutive title. On the other side, the Buffalo Bills have never won a Super Bowl and are looking to change that this year. The Buffalo Bills actually made four consecutive Super Bowl appearances in the 90s but lost in all appearances. 

This game will be played in Kansas City, and fans will be allowed to attend so that is an advantage for the Chiefs. The Chiefs beat the Cleveland Browns last week to put them in the AFC Championship, but late in the game their starting quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, took a hard hit and went into concussion protocol. The Chiefs have said that he will start the game, but we will see if that affects him. The Buffalo Bills beat the Baltimore Ravens to put them in the AFC Conference Championship. 

The NFC Championship is a matchup between the number one and number three ranked team in the NFC. The number one ranked team in the NFC is the Green Bay Packers, who beat the Los Angeles Rams in their last game. The third ranked team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who beat the New Orleans Saints in their last game. 

The Packers have the best ranked offense in the entire NFL this year, and they beat the number one ranked defense in the entire NFL last game. They look to continue their hot streak against the Buccaneers, but last time they play the Buccaneers they lost. The Buccaneers and their quarterback, Tom Brady, look to upset the Packers and get a ticket to the Superbowl. This game will be played in Green Bay, and fans will be allowed. 

Ben Albrecht, a senior at Beavercreek High School, said, “I think the Packers and Bills will win and play in the Super Bowl.” The Packers and Buccaneers play at 3:05 PM and then the Chiefs and Bills play at 6:40 PM.