Club Spotlight: Academic Team

Ana Pohlmann, Staff Writer

Beavercreek is well-known for its stellar athletes and wide variety of activities students can participate in. However, there is one hidden gem a part of BHS that is open to students who excel in the classroom: Academic Team. 

The Academic Team is coached by French teacher, Ellen Spence. This quizbowl program consists of many students who are grouped together in teams of four. The program holds a variety of subjects students can specialize in: History, Math, Religion, Literature, all Sciences and Visual Arts. So far, the team is 12-0 in GWOC and will face another undefeated team (Northmont) next week. They have also competed in virtual tournaments with teams across the state and country. In 2019, the team placed first in the High School National Tournament in Atlanta. Coach Spence says, “We are going to work hard to defend the title again this year.” No surprise, they are currently top 10 in the nation. The team is led by Captain Tegan Kapadia. Varsity also consists of seniors Abby Cohen and Tiffany Zhou, and juniors Alan Xie and Arunn Sankar. 

Practices are held from 3-5 on Mondays from September through May. If you are interested in joining, you can pick up an informational packet from Madame Spence in room 0118 or visit the team website https://sites.google.com/view/bhsateam/home