Opening Day is Nearing

Chase Bennett, Student Journalist

As spring draws nearer and nearer, the thought of baseball’s opening day starts to be on America’s mind. MLB’s opening day starts on April 1st. All 30 major league baseball clubs will play on opening day. 

The Cincinnati Reds are set to play the St. Louis Cardinals at home at 4:10 p.m. The Reds made some significant moves over the off season, some good, some bad. Unfortunately, they lost their Cy Young award winning pitcher, Trevor Bauer. The Cy Young award is given to the highest-achieving pitcher from each league, National and American. As a free agent, Trevor Bauer signed with the Dodgers. Over the offseason, the Cincinnati Reds also acquired the speedster second baseman Dee Gordon.  

The Reds sit at 20 in MLB’s power rankings out of 30 teams. Hopefully the reds can overachieve in the 2021 season and surprise us all. 

The Cleveland Indians open the season on the road against the Detroit Tigers. The Indians are sitting in the middle of the pack at 15 in MLB’s power rankings. The Indians are a dark horse team this season with 2020 Cy Young winner Shane Bieber headlining the starting pitching rotation. With a pitcher of that caliber on the roster, Indians fans can have hope in their 2021 season.

Another exciting MLB season is right around the corner. Baseball fans, rejoice.