Beavers Swing into a New Season

Cooper Hansen, Student Journalist

A year ago, COVID-19 ended all spring sports for Beavercreek High School in 2020. This year,  the Beavercreek baseball and softball teams look forward to taking the field and winning a GWOC or state title.

Senior Alyssa (Isa) Lewis is optimistic about the softball team, stating that the team has a “strong chance of making it far in the GWOC tournament and hopefully the state tournament.” Lewis went on to add that the team’s returning players have brought “leadership and something special to the team, making it unique.” The softball team has had 2 scrimmages so far and plan to have 2 more over spring break to prepare themselves for a promising season. 

The baseball team has many new faces as only 2 returning varsity players will take the field this season. Although the roster this year looks starkly different, this senior-heavy team carries plenty of high school experience with them. Senior Jake Woolf believes that his team will be just fine. Woolf stated, “We have good pitchers, a good offense, and a great defense. We have a history of winning and I don’t see that changing this year.” With 1 scrimmage under the team’s belt, Woolf explained, “We had to shake off some rust, but it’s easy to see that this team has potential.”

Each team is observing COVID-19 safety protocols by wearing masks at practice and social distancing the best they can. Good luck to the Beavers this year as they take the field.