The Addictive Nature of Social Media

The Addictive Nature of Social Media

Cassidy Faile, Student Journalist

As social media has become a part of our daily lives, many have deemed it to be addictive. Senior high school student Meryem Ozcan explains a time in her life when she felt attached to social media, stating, “When I first came here to America, and before I left my country, I was on my phone all the time. It’s not like I had nothing else to do, It’s just that I did not want to face my real-life problems.” Many individuals use social media as an escape from reality, ultimately leading to attachment and addiction. Social media can be an enticing world of entertainment and activity, but many wonder what makes it so addicting. Ozcan shares her reasoning as to why social media can feel addictive to her personally, “The shows you watch, books you read, all have such a big community on social media where people can talk about it and join in the conversation, and I think that is very addicting for me.” By incorporating social media into the interests we are already invested in, the idea of social media can indeed become addicting. Beginning to create a balance between how much social media we are exposed to each day and the amount of time we’re spending for other necessities is a challenging process for everyone.