Cornhole Dominates Summer Activities

Cooper Hansen, Student Journalist

With summer quickly approaching, friends and family flock to their backyards, local parks, and barbecues to compete in outdoor games. There are countless new backyard games coming out each year, but none of these games compare to the grand majesty of the game of cornhole. 

Depending on what part of the United States your from, this classic game can be called anything from cornhole, bean bag toss, tailgate toss, or bags. Regardless of what you call the game, it is the most popular backyard game in the nation. Other games such as Spikeball, ladder ball, horseshoes, lawn darts, or Can Jam just don’t measure up to how easy and fun cornhole is.

One reason cornhole is the best backyard game is because it is very easy to learn. All that one needs to know to play the game is how to throw a beanbag at a board. Spikeball for instance, has many specific rules and is hard for beginners to learn or understand. Another reason cornhole is superior to other games is the recognizability of it. Cornhole is perfect for parties and events because people have played it before and have had a great experience so they will likely want to play again. With other games like Spikeball, people are less likely to try something new that is much harder to learn.

In cornhole the score can shift very quickly compared to other games where the pace is slow. This competitive nature is just another reason why cornhole is the most loved and cherished outdoor game.