Changing COVID-19 Regulations

AJ Houseknecht, Student Journalist

On May 12th, Governor Mike DeWine released a statement about lifting COVID-19 regulations in the state of Ohio. This means a few things for the state: one, masks will no longer be required and two, there will be lottery incentives for the vaccinated. 

The mask mandate was originally scheduled to be lifted on June 2nd as announced by DeWine in his last COVID-19 press release. However, there are a few limitations to this lifting. Some businesses and shops may choose to continue the mandation of masks in their businesses. According to Andrew Doehrel, Ohio Chamber of Commerce CEO and president, “Removing these barriers comes at the right time and will assist the efforts of Ohio’s business community to restore Ohio’s economy”. So not only will Ohioans be able to be maskless in public, the removal of these barriers will help grow the economy.

For those that are vaccinated, there are incentives to get the second dose and enter into a lottery for $1 million dollars. DeWine initiated these financial incentives as a last-stitch effort to get Ohioans vaccinated before the end of the mask mandate. He stated that “I know that some may say, ‘DeWine, you’re crazy! This million-dollar drawing idea of yours is a waste of money,” but the real waste “is a life lost to COVID-19”. Students under the age of 18 can enter into a lottery for a full, four-year tuition scholarship to any Ohio university. 

As of June 2nd, masks will no longer be required in the state of Ohio. However they may be required in individual businesses and storage depending on the owners regulations. There will be some Financial incentives for those who are vaccinated, so make sure to register for those if you are already vaccinated.