Spider-Man: No Way Home: A Spoiler Free Review

Kayla Person, Student Editor

On December 17, 2021, Spider-Man: No Way Home, the final installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s first Spider-Man trilogy starring Tom Holland hit the theaters. After waiting two years to see Peter Parker’s story continue after the cliffhanger of Spider-Man: Far From Home, it’s safe to say that fans were ecstatic to see what Marvel and Sony put together for them. Rumors about No Way Home were circling months before its release, some of which were answered in the trailers. However, the expectations for this movie were still at an exponential rate, with many fans expecting appearances from not only the previous Peter Parker’s played by Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, but also Charlie Cox’s Daredevil, and even for Elizabeth Olsen to make a brief appearance as the Scarlet Witch.
After seeing the movie for myself and the various filmed theater reactions I’ve seen on the internet, I can confidently say that Spider-Man: No Way Home lived up to almost every expectation it was given. Marvel and Sony truly outdid themselves with this film. With a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and a ⅘ on Common Sense Media, many have described this film as Peter Parker’s true origin story. The trailer-confirmed reappearances of past Spider-Man villains, such as Jaime Foxx’s Electro and Alfred Molina’s Doctor Octopus provide long-time fans of Spider-Man with a heavy sense of nostalgia while the forefront cast with Tom Holland, Zendaya, and Benedict Cumberbatch keep the newer MCU fans interested and wondering how the film will affect the future of the MCU.
If I had to describe this film in one word, I would simply say ‘epic’. The plot refuses to loosen its hold on you for all of its run time of two hours and 28 minutes. Kevin Feige manages to flawlessly tie every subplot together at the end, leaving fans desperate for information on another installment. Holland’s performance as Peter Parker is a phenomenal one, capturing the inner turmoil of a teenage boy with what seems like the weight of the world on his shoulders while he watches his loved ones suffer at the hands of his enemies, even after their death.
After the film’s global success, many fans are focused on how Peter’s story will continue as the MCU moves forward. The most we know is that, after a good few years of Tom Holland’s contract with Marvel being up in the air and several compromises between Marvel and Sony, Holland will be returning for a second Spider-Man trilogy within the MCU and that it may take place while Parker is in college. Many long-time fans are demanding more appearances from characters in the comics, such as Felicia Hardy, a skilled thief and one of Peter Parker’s love interests, or Miles Morales, a different Spider-Man that, in some renditions, Peter Parker mentors.
All in all, everyone is in agreement that, when it comes to Spider-Man in the MCU moving forward, the stakes for Marvel and Sony have never been higher. With a movie that some are saying is better than Avengers: Endgame, fans will be watching them like hawks to make sure their favorite character is done correctly in the future. The most we can do right now is speculate and hope until more information is released.