How to Stay Motivated

Caitlyn Russell, Student Reporter

Of all people, believe me when I say I understand the feelings of wanting to stay in bed all day and to watch the latest Cobra Kai episodes, but it feels so good to be productive. I know a few ways that can help you to get out of bed and clean the house. Or maybe that can wait for next week.

1. Ideas for getting motivated: 

The most important thing is that you set goals for yourself. This can be written anywhere like a whiteboard or it can even be on your phone. Just make sure that it is somewhere it can be seen easily and can be a reminder of what you need to do for the day so you don’t get sidetracked.

Something fun that can be used to have some continuous motivation is to make a playlist for being productive. It can be whatever you want it to be, also there can be different playlists for what you want to do that day. For example, you can have a playlist for laundry and a playlist for working out. The opportunities are endless for this idea. 

Another thing that helps not to get bored or sidetracked is to set a timer. Having a set time is proven more likely to help not get sidetracked or leave unfinished projects since you are only focused on one thing at a time. Setting aside 30 minutes for cleaning the bathroom is an idea to start out trying. 

2. Ways to keep motivated: 

Once you make your to-do list or your goals for the day then it is time to make that a routine. If you do it just once or twice a week then it is easier to say “eh i’ll do it tomorrow”. Once there is a system in tact it becomes a habit. It takes three months to make a habit so there might be some struggles for a couple months but it will be better in the long run. 

Remembering why you wanted to get the motivation to do the task you are struggling with is a good way to keep motivation going because you have a fixed idea of why you started in the first place. According to Gleb Rays, writer of the article “How to Stay Motivated and Reach your Big Goal in Life” He wrote that “For each goal you set, there needs to be a reason behind it. If you don’t nail down your ‘why’ when you begin, your motivation will soon falter, leaving you miles from achieving your goal.” Some ideas for a “why” can be the reward that you get from doing it, the idea of accomplishing something, or setting out to reach a bigger and better goal. 

Overall, the idea of being productive for the day is a hard idea to achieve when you don’t have a good why to start getting motivated or how to continue to be motivated but in the end it helps people feel good about themselves, if you don’t know where to start, read the tips that I have left in this article.