2022 Winter Olympics

Maggie Young , Student Journalist

The winter Olympics have been happening since February 4th and end February 20th. In first place right now with the most gold medals is Norway leading with 12  gold, 7 silver, 7 bronze. The US is in 3rd with 7 gold medals, 6 silver, and 4 bronze medals. 

Events in the winter Olympics include biathlon, bobsledding, curling, ice hockey, luge, skating (which includes figure skating and speed skating), and skiing (which includes snowboarding and ski jumping).  Alpine skiing is a key event in the winter Olympics, and shows off skills like being able to turn sharply, and to jump well. The biathlon is a winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. Bobsledding is one of the events what include sliding around. Cross country skiing is long distance skiing. Curling is a sport where you slide a stone across ice and shoot it into a goal, called the house. Figure skating is a sport where people show off their talent of skating like tricks and skill, on ice. Freestyle skiing is exactly what is sounds like. It is skiing with more tricks involved. showing off your talent in skiing. Ice hockey is is where people are on ice, trying to get the puck, into the goal. Luge is where two people are on a flat sled, where the goal is to increase speed. Nordic combined consists of a ski jumping competition and a cross-country skiing race. Short track speed skating is where skaters travel a short distance to compete to be first. Skeleton is a winter sliding sport in which a person rides a small sled, known as a skeleton bobsled, down a frozen track while lying face down and head-first. Ski jumping consists of going down a hill, then launching yourself in the air. Snowboard is where people show off their skills in five different events including Giant Parallel Slalom, Parallel Slalom, Half-Pipe, Slopestyle, Snowboard Cross.

The country with the most success in the Biathlon is Norway, the country leading first place. The competitors from Norway say ¨Teamwork will be your best advantage in winning¨ Which is proven to be true while they are in the lead.Germany leads in Bobsledding, recently, Francesco Friedrich won an Olympic gold medal in the sport of Bobsledding. Russian Kamila Valieva recently took first place in women’s figure skating, her teammate Anna Shcherbakova taking second, and Japan’s Sakamoto Kaori took third. Germany has won three gold medals in Luge mixed relay, putting Germany in the lead of that sport.