How to Cure Writer’s Block

Daniel Scott

As a journalist for the school newspaper and an avid writer, I often find myself faced with the question: how do you cure writer’s block? I have been tackling numerous writing projects this past month and as the quarter comes to a close, numerous of them still linger over my head. Yet somehow, I always manage to tackle my writer’s block. There’s a slew of advice that works, some of it being more effective for others and some of it might not work at all for them. Today I am going to share some personal tips in a three-step process for a writer at any level to try and hopefully help you cure your writer’s block.

Maybe you’re sitting there staring at that essay you have due tomorrow. Maybe you’re trying to come up with a poem. Maybe you like to write creatively. Whatever the piece is, it is important to identify the standards you want to set for that piece of writing. You have to understand the obvious, and that is that every piece of writing is different in style. Identify what goal you have to meet with this piece. As an example, I am writing this article currently to inform readers while also hoping to accomplish the goal of clearly and elaborately explaining my thought process. What do you want to accomplish by the end of this piece? Once you identify these aspects, firmly set your initial goal and move on to the next step.

Brainstorming is the next logical step. Do this in whatever way works for you and realize that no thought you have is bad. Anything you think of can almost always is expounded upon and written about, even if it doesn’t pertain to your piece of writing. Sometimes you just have to get yourself writing to get yourself in the proper mindset to write what you want. Essentially, just write anything. After all, revision and cutting out unnecessary information is what will make your final piece of writing better overall.

Finally, be willing to take advice from anyone willing to help you, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you’re stuck or have a piece that is in its early stages that you don’t feel proud of, getting help can sometimes be your best way out. Here at BHS, we have an amazing English department, with plenty of teachers who are more than willing to help you further your writing abilities over any type of writing. Without help from my teachers or peers, I wouldn’t be able to write the way I do today. Some of my favorite advice comes from Freshman Samuel Scott when he put it simply: “When I feel like I can’t write anymore, I take a break and put my mind to something else”. Or advice from Junior Emma Paterchak when she told me that she “likes to imagine she is sitting in a hard desk, like the ones at school”. Junior Ella Zinter suggests to “write anything and everything, then look at the pieces and try to put them together somehow”. I search for a space that is quiet and promotes thought, so I can solely focus on my work. I use all of these suggestions, and they are fantastic when you’re just simply stuck. You have to prioritize how you feel and your setup before you can start to write properly.

Using a combination of all three techniques, writing should hopefully come easier to anyone. One of the funniest points I find with this article is that this was the piece to finally cure my week-long writer’s block. I had just finished a calculus test and there it hit me. Write about your writer’s block. Use the techniques. From there, I was able to formulate it into advice, and managed to write all 722 of these words and rearrange them into an article. The lesson is, when inspiration hits you, take it and go with it. When the urge to write creeps up on you, write. Anything you put on this paper cures writer’s block because you’re back to writing! I wish all of you luck with your writing this quarter and hope that these tips might have helped or inspired you in some way.