Managing High School

Kayla Person

Managing time is a tricky thing, even more so in high school. Everyone is telling us to have fun during high school, but we’re also told to develop a work ethic and to start building our college applications or prepare for the ACT. With so much pressure on students to juggle so many things at once, many teens may find themselves struggling to figure out a proper balance. 

The hard truth is that, as much as we want to be able to manage everything in our lives perfectly, it is not always a possibility. It is possible, however, to try your hardest and manage whatever you can whenever you can. If you want to start out small, simply get a good night’s sleep. This advice is something everyone has heard before, but that does not make it less effective. If you do not want to plan out all of your obligations, you can still try to get the recommended 8-10 hours of sleep. It will help greatly with energy preservation so you have to motivation to complete all of your obligations.

If you do want to plan specific things out, then there is much more advice you can use to manage your time better. First and foremost, try to take it one step at a time. While it is true that some people thrive while multitasking, it can get highly overwhelming when you are trying to balance multiple tasks. If you wish to avoid stress and to get tasks done efficiently, it is best that you avoid multitasking. 

Additionally, you should figure out a way to avoid and block out distractions. The more something pulls your attention away, the harder it is to complete a single task. If you can seclude yourself away from any distractions, such as loud noises, your family, or your pets, you have a much better chance of achieving your initial task.

Furthermore, if you are a chronic procrastinator, try to find the cause of said procrastination and figure out a way to battle it. For instance, if you tend to lose yourself while scrolling through your phone, try to set a screen limit on your phone that will last for as long as you want to work and complete your tasks. If you know you will never actually set the limit, it is best to have someone else set it for you. You should also make sure that you do not know how to disable the screen limit while you are working to avoid temptation or distractions.

This may sound unusual, but a good way to manage your time well is to know when to stop managing it. Even though having a solid plan is good, taking breaks are very important so you do not completely overwhelm yourself. You can also see the break as a reward to yourself. You have been working extremely hard and you deserve some form of relief. Do something you truly enjoy, like going out with friends or going to see a new movie.

However, all of these methods may not be suited to you. There are so many methods of time management that could benefit everyone in drastically different ways. Everyone’s brain works in a different, so it is best that you craft a time management plan that works best for you.