Downsides To Social Media

Downsides To Social Media

Caitlyn Russell, Student Reporter

Popular trends nowadays start in the same place no matter what it is: social media. Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat are some of the three most popular social media apps that include hundreds of platforms for creators to post on. Normally, it is all fun and games when it comes to scrolling on your phone, however, having so many teenagers that are living their lives online in 2022, especially after COVID-19 caused a skyrocket of people going online. Social media can now lead to the spread of negative ideas and hurtful messages. Social media tactics also move into normal everyday life bringing the negative aspects into relationships online and in real life and can also move into school.

“Between 2004 and 2009, the percentage of U.S teens with cell phones grew from 45 percent to 71 percent. By 2015, nearly three-quarters of teens had access to a smartphone, and more than 90 percent went online daily.”, states Susan Ladika, the writer of the article “Bullying and Cyberbullying”. Since the article was written in 2018 the percentages have probably changed. However, still 90 percent of people most likely use their phones daily to communicate with others, but sometimes that communication is not the type people want to get and can lead to hurtful messages and cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is on the rise in grades k-12. According to ProCon.org, in 2016, “52% of students have reported being the victim of cyberbullying with 84.2% naming Facebook as the site through which they have been bullied, followed by Instagram (23.4%), Twitter (21.4%), and Snapchat (13.5%)”. 

Social media does not only change relationships and lead to bullying online, it can also make people lose friends in real life. Use of social media can lead to a decrease of friendships and overtime changing how people view and interact with others in a relationship because social media hinders the development of conflict management skills and awareness skills. About half of teens who use social media have fought with a friend because of something that happened online. Also people who stay on social media more than others are prone to social isolation because they get the feelings of disconnection and the passive consumption of social media can lead to loneliness and depression. 

The final part of social media that has negative influences on someone’s everyday life is that social media has been one of the leading causes of procrastination in the past two generations. 31% of teens say that using social media during homework reduces the quality of their work. Students who used social media had an average GPA of 3.06 while non-users had an average GPA of 3.82. Students who used social media while studying scored 20% lower on tests.  

In conclusion, social media is a leading cause of cyberbullying, procrastination, and changing of relationships and friendships, social media has many negative effects to it. It can change lives in a negative way and lead to many hurtful trends online and in real life.