Volunteer Opportunities in Ohio

Caitlyn Russell, Student Reporter

Are you looking for something to do this summer that is fun and rewarding? Volunteering can help students in several different ways which include: experiencing new opportunities, meeting new people, gaining new skills, and adding volume to a college or job resume. There are some local opportunities in the Dayton and Beavercreek surrounding areas that are in need of strong and helpful volunteers that can either donate either time or money to help the needs of the Ohio citizens.

One volunteer opportunity is The Hearth Food Pantry that works inside the East Dayton Christian Church, which is located at 3415 Linden Avenue in Dayton.This food pantry is centrally located and serves around 200-500 people weekly. The volunteers of this pantry spend each Monday organizing boxes of food and getting ready for people to come in and on each Tuesday from 2 o’clock to 7:00 o’clock, the volunteers spend time disbursing the food boxes to individuals in need. If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, you can just show up and they will show you how you can help, however, they are closed on the first week of every month.  

Another opportunity for students is called Feed the Creek. This organization was created to provide local Beavercreek families with food especially during the weekends and summer. This organization is always in need of non-perishable donations or volunteers to help organize food distribution. If you wish to help, you can send an email to feed the creek. Also if you cannot volunteer, you can look at feedthecreek.org to get a list of places that have little pantries to drop off food.

If you wish to work with animals, specifically dogs, another great opportunity is 4 Paws for Ability in Xenia. They provide service dogs to veterans and children with disabilities.  Volunteers are vital to this organization and there is something available for all ages. They take donations and volunteers. There are five different volunteer opportunities that are available on their website. Also if you do not want to volunteer and you cannot donate any supplies, there is still another way you can help. They have a sponsorship area of their website under the how to help drop-down section.

A unique volunteer experience in our area is called Shoe for Shoeless. This volunteer organization started in 2010 and their mission is to provide new gym shoes and socks to southwest Ohio children that are in desperate need of correct shoes and socks because they believe that ill fitted shoes and socks leads to a lifetime of social, physical and mental problems. This organization is a real need in our community and volunteers are vital in the organization and distribution of shoes. The way to get involved is to donate new shoes and socks to their organization, you can also donate thirty dollars to the organization if you are not able to go get the shoes. You can also sign up to be a volunteer, on their website under get involved is a sign up sheet to join the group of 400 volunteers.

Overall, there are many great opportunities in the Beavercreek and Dayton surrounding areas that include the Hearth Food Pantry, Feed the Creek, 4 Paws for Ability, and Shoes for the Shoeless. There is something for everyone out there to enjoy and get rewarding work in.