Largest Mass Shooting in U.S. History

Mandatory Credit: Photo by EUGENE GARCIA/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock (9107485c)
Mourners pay tribute at a makeshift memorial on the Las Vegas Strip for the victims of a mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 02 October 2017. The mass shooting, which left at least 58 people dead and more than 500 injured on 01 October, is the largest in modern US history. The gunman, identified by the police as Stephen Paddock, 64, fired from an upper floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel before reportedly killing himself as police made their way into his hotel room.
Makeshift memorial for the victims of the Las Vegas Strip mass shooting, USA - 02 Oct 2017

Mandatory Credit: Photo by EUGENE GARCIA/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock (9107485c) Mourners pay tribute at a makeshift memorial on the Las Vegas Strip for the victims of a mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 02 October 2017. The mass shooting, which left at least 58 people dead and more than 500 injured on 01 October, is the largest in modern US history. The gunman, identified by the police as Stephen Paddock, 64, fired from an upper floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel before reportedly killing himself as police made their way into his hotel room. Makeshift memorial for the victims of the Las Vegas Strip mass shooting, USA - 02 Oct 2017

EUGENE GARCIA/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutte

EUGENE GARCIA/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutte

Gavin Akehurst, Student Journalist

On the night of Sunday, October 1st, a gunman killed 59 people and injured more than 500 when he opened fire from the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas. This is the largest mass shooting in the history of the United States.

The crowd of people was watching the Route 91 Harvest country music festival when a hail of gunfire from a nearby hotel came down on them. The shooter, Stephen Paddock, was a wealthy 64-year-old man. He had been stockpiling weapons for years, and he had 23 with him in his hotel room on the 32nd floor where he shot at the crowd. Many of the weapons had a bump stock attached to them, which allows a semi-automatic weapon to be fired at the fast rate of an automatic weapon; even the NRA wants them banned from the country. He also had thousands of rounds of ammunition that he hadn’t used in the room.

The Islamic State claimed that Paddock did it for them, but this claim had no evidence and has been disproved. The shooter’s girlfriend claims to not have known what was going to happen. Paddock killed himself before police arrived on the scene, so the motive for the attack remains unknown.

All of our condolences go out to the people of Las Vegas in this extremely hard time.