When Should We Stop Trick-or-Treating?

Cory Kunkel, Student Journalist

I love October. The weather is just the right temperature, the leaves are turning different colors, and Halloween decorations are the coolest of any holiday with respect to the Fourth of July. After a whole month of different fall-season activities, the calendar eventually lands on October 31st, otherwise known as Beggars’ Night. On the evening of this glorious day, children dress up in costumes and go door-to-door to receive candy from their neighbors.

Notice how I said children?

Traditionally speaking, when we imagine trick-or-treaters, we think of kids in the age range of 4-12 dressed as Harry Potter or Obi-Wan Kenobi (I’ve been both), not high schoolers. However, there is some controversy as to when kids should stop being kids and forego this tradition. The issue is that there is no specific age for kids to stop, and those handing out candy will never deny it if asked for.

The general consensus is to stop at age 13 when a child becomes a teenager, and this is even when I stopped going out on this night; looking back though, I wish I could have had a few more years.

Trick-or-treating is an awesome activity, there’s no denying that; it literally involves receiving free candy. If it’s something that we enjoy, why should we stop? The societal formalities dictate that it’s wrong to do it when we get older, but I’d like to see that in writing. I know for a fact that even if others may judge you for trick-or-treating at an older age, they will also envy you. You have candy, and they do not.

I personally believe that if your neighbors are still willing to give you candy, and you’re still willing to dress up, then you still have the right to partake in Beggars’ Night. If you’re willing to accept the judgement of others, then you’re already halfway there to a bag full of treats.