A Tradition Unlike Any Other

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Tradition Unlike Any Other

Jake Silvey, Student Journalist

One of the largest U.S. sporting events, the Masters Golf Tournament, took place from April 5th-8th in Augusta, Georgia, where history was made. The top storylines heading into the Masters were Rory McIlroy’s attempt for a grand slam, Sergio Garcia’s chance for back-to-back green jackets, and of course, the return of Tiger Woods; however, the storylines that left the Masters were completely different.

On the first day, all golf fans anticipated Tiger Woods first Masters since 2015, but not everything went to plan as Woods finished his disappointing debut at +1 and far behind the lead. Another golfer who struggled was 2017 Masters Champion Sergio Garcia who shot his ball into the water five times on one hole. While Woods and Garcia struggled, Jordan Spieth prospered as he ended the day in the lead with a score of -6. Over the next two days, Woods, Garcia, and other golfers continued to struggle while many began to pull away including Patrick Reed who led the final three days. Reed was playing in his fifth Masters hoping to get his first major win. As the four-day tournament came to a close, Reed edged out Rickie Fowler and Jordan Spieth by one and two strokes to win his first green jacket. After his win, Reed said he “knew it was going to be a dogfight” and he was just out there to “play golf and try and win golf tournaments,” which he did.

Leaving the Masters, the headlines didn’t talk about Tiger Woods remarkable comeback to the sport of golf or Sergio Garcia’s second straight Masters win, but instead, it was about a relatively unknown golfer who proved to the world that he can win on the biggest stage in the world.