• August 19Send us song suggestions for Music Friday this week!

NCAA March Madness Recap

Sam Fisher, Student Journalist

Last month was crazy for the sport of basketball. The NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Tournament drew in millions of viewers, and rightfully so. There were plenty of upsets, buzzer-beaters, amazing highlights, and more. It was very exciting to say the least.

The tournament began with the round of sixty-four. Right off the bat, UMBC made history by beating Virginia and became the first ever sixteenth-seeded team to beat a one-seed. There were other noteworthy games, including Marshall beating Wichita State, Arkansas losing to Butler, and, of course, eleventh-seeded Loyola Chicago outplaying sixth-seeded Miami.

Fans saw more of the same in the round of thirty-two. Loyola continued its run as a classic Cinderella story. Nevada pulled the upset over two-seed Cincinnati, who many people had winning it all. In another shocker, the Aggies from Texas A&M ended the North Carolina Tar Heels’ tournament hopes.

In the blink of an eye, the NCAA Tournament had reached the Final Four. Cinderella story Loyola Chicago refused to be defeated, and Michigan, Villanova, and Kansas remained as well. In the Villanova versus Kansas game, Villanova scored a record 18 3-pointers and had six players that scored in double-digits, including Eric Paschall, who led the team with 24 points. Although they lost by 16 points, Kansas still put up a good fight. They were led by Devonte Graham and Malik Newman. On the other side, Loyola and Michigan faced off for the second spot in the championship game. The Loyola Ramblers were up 29-22 at the half, but ultimately, Michigan’s Moe Wagner helped lead his team back to win 69-57 with 24 points and 15 rebounds.

Overall, this year’s NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Tournament was one for the ages. Sophomore Jacob Gosney watched several of the games: “It was crazy. The amazing wins and buzzer-beaters really made it a lot of fun to watch.” March Madness 2019 can’t come soon enough.