“Fornite” vs. “Blackout”- Battle Royale Showdown

Photo taken by Gavin Akehurst

Photo taken by Gavin Akehurst

Gavin Akehurst

Gavin Akehurst

Photo taken by Gavin Akehurst

Gavin Akehurst, Student Journalist

With the recent release of the beta version of “Call of Duty: Blackout,” Call of Duty’s (or COD for short) new battle royale game mode that will come with the purchase of “Call of Duty: Black Ops 4,” many people are wondering if this game will surpass the hugely popular game “Fortnite Battle Royale.” While we have only seen the beta for “Blackout” and COD will surely fix some problems with the game before “Black Ops 4’s” October 12th release date, “Fortnite” will still be the better game between the two for several reasons.

Constant Live Updates: “Fortnite” consistently and periodically updates their game so that new weapons and places to visit in the game are available. Beyond that, they have several live events that all players in the game can see. For example, a few months ago “Fortnite” announced that everyone in a match at a certain time would be able to see a rocket launch into the atmosphere in the game. More recently, a giant purple cube has been seen all over the world and players can watch it move every once in a while. These constant updates and live events keep players enthralled in the game for a long time.

Unique Features and Items: In “Fortnite,” players have the ability to gather materials and build whatever they want. Bases, towers, traps, or just walls used for cover are frequently created in game. Unique weapons and items that are used less for strategic purposes and more for fun are also added into the game. A couple weeks ago, the grappler, a weapon that doesn’t do any damage to other players but rather shoots a plunger attached to a string and pulls your character towards whatever it latches onto, was added to “Fortnite.” Another cool edition to the game, as stated by an anonymous senior is that “you can actually thank the bus driver before dropping into the game,” referring to how players parachute into the world from a flying bus. This and other additions keep the game fun and fresh.

The COD Community: Anyone who has played any COD game before knows that a lot of players in the game are little kids or just overall bad players. These players hide in corners and rely on luck and automatic weapons (“spraying and praying” as the community calls it) to win. Players like these will continue to ruin the game even when “Blackout” gets released. In “Fortnite,” it’s easier to combat this problem by just out building-opponents.

Overall, “Fornite” will continue its dominance in the battle royale video game market even when “Blackout” comes out. “Fortnite” is free to play across all platforms now and “Call of Duty: Black Ops 4” is on sale October 12th.