Red Dead Redemption 2 Captures the Wild West in One of the Games of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jake Silvey, Student Journalist

On October 26th, the long-awaited arrival of Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption 2 was finally over. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018), the prequel to Red Dead Redemption (2010), is an open-world game set in the Wild West in 1899 during the shift towards industrialization. Rockstar Games, the producers, have been working on the game for over five years and are known for producing the highest quality open-world games as this has been no exception. I purchased the game to see what all the hype was about.

The game itself has a story, open-world, and (soon) a multiplayer feature with the story mode being roughly 60 hours long. After 5 years of production and many set-back release dates, I was expecting a lot, maybe too much; however, I wasn’t disappointed. The huge map, the largest Rockstar Games has created, wild west theme, and great attention to detail make the game one of if not the best games of the year. With over 1,000 unique non-playable characters (NPCs) to talk to and over 200 animal species to discover, getting bored with this game is not a large concern. The only complaints I have about the game are the large download size (105 mega bytes) and the slow pace of play as you are on your horse for a large part of the game. Senior Tucker Scoggins who got the game said it’s “fun to run in the wild west just tearing stuff up, kicking butt and taking names.”

Red Dead Redemption 2 has received outstanding reviews: 10/10 from IGN, 5/5 from Common Sense Media, 97% from Metacritic, 97% from Google, and many more. I just about agree with these ratings as I will give the game a 9/10 and highly recommend everyone who enjoys open-world games to get it. As outlaw Arthur Morgan, you have plenty of places to explore, trains to rob, and landscapes to appreciate.