Lawrence and The Tigers Dethrone The Crimson Tide

in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T at Levi's Stadium on January 7, 2019 in Santa Clara, California.

Ezra Shaw

Collin Farrell, Student Journalist

When wide receiver coach Dabo Swinney started 0-3 after being promoted to interim head coach in 2008, almost every Clemson fan wanted him out, 10 years later, he has claimed his 2nd National Title along with 5 ACC Championships along the way, giving college football hope again.

The Clemson Tigers outright dominated the Alabama Crimson Tide in the National Championship by a score of 44-16. Clemson True freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence showed every doubter why he is the future of the game, throwing for 347 yards and 3 touchdowns, flashing many signs of a quarterback he has admired since he was a kid, Peyton Manning. He can throw as good as any quarterback college football has ever seen, and comparisons only matchable to some of the great college football players, from Manning to Clemson Alum Deshaun Watson, but doing something only one other college quarterback has ever done, win a Championship as a true freshman quarterback. Freshman wide receiver Justyn Ross and sophomore running back Travis Etienne also showed up, Ross with 6 catches for 153 yards and 2 touchdowns, and Etienne with 14 carriers, 86 yards, and 2 touchdowns. Along with a stellar performance on the offensive side of the ball, Clemson’s defense held the Crimson Tide to a playoff record low 16 points for the Tide, and exposed heisman runner-up quarterback Tua Tagovailoa all without their star defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence. All very impressive performances, but most likely the best was coach Dabo Swinney, doing something that no coach has been able to do well, out coach Nick Saban.

Alabama being heavy favorites every year, and seeming to be no end to it anytime soon, until this Clemson team showed themselves to the world. Their young and dominate offense backed by a future hall of fame coach looks replicate their dominance next season, losing only 2 starters, making them heavy favorites to win it all next season, leaving Saban and the Crimson Tide, in the rearview mirror.