Schools Using Facial Recognition Cameras

Back to Article
Back to Article

In the past few years, many instances have occurred where students, kindergarten through high school, have felt threatened during school. This has sparked a debate concerning gun control restrictions and whether America’s schools have an effective security system. From this debate has emerged high-tech security such as security cameras with facial recognition.

These cameras, offered by multiple companies now, can face match in real time, potentially eliminating the threat before any violence can occur. Schools around the country have been testing these out with promising results. This technology can already be found in places like airports and train stations, so it is not entirely new.

Many students like the idea of such security cameras for BHS, as they feel it would make them not only safer overall, but allow them to experience a general feeling of security: “Last semester I took health over in Ferguson, which a lot of kids do, but because so many kids are in and out of the building the doors aren’t locked which makes me feel a little uneasy,” confessed Haleigh Davis.

More schools seem to be warming up to the idea of these cameras as the year continues. Perhaps all U.S. schools will have them installed by the end of 2019.