Getting out of a Summer Mindset

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

We all enjoy the summer as a nice break away from school.  We enjoy the relaxation of our vacations and not consistently having homework every night.  But while this break away from school can be very nice, it can also make getting back in to school that much worse.  

When we come back to school, it can often be very difficult to get out of the summer mindset that we have created for ourselves.  This mindset can include procrastinating work or sleeping in whenever you feel like it. Coming back to school can then lead to a rude awakening for many students.

Students who struggle to escape from this summer mindset will have trouble staying on task and being productive on their schoolwork.  Students who participate in sports might not be ready for the commitment that they must give for their sport when school begins. Overall, students who come into school with a summer mindset are just not ready for the work and commitment that they must produce. 

So how do we get out of this so called summer mindset?  One of the best ways to get out of a summer mindset and into a school mindset is to start being productive before school even starts.  This can be achieved either a week or two before school starts, or you can just try to be productive all summer so you never leave the productive school mindset that you have created throughout the previous year.

Some people might say there is nothing they can even work on during the summer to stay productive.  That is completely false. No matter who you are, there is always something to work on, whether it be getting better at a new skill or hobby or getting a job.  Overall, it is best to stay away from that summer mindset so that you are ready for when school starts up again each fall.