Is Sleep Deprivation Harming Students?

Mark Rick, Opinion Section Editor

Many BHS students are very busy with homework and various other extracurricular activities. Extracurriculars are good for students and it’s great to see students involved at BHS. However, this causes students to be up late doing homework because they had earlier extracurriculars.

Students sometimes only get five hours of sleep a night and this can result in very harmful effects on the students. For example, lack of sufficient sleep can cause grumpiness and you won’t be able to do you best at school.  Also, it may cause you to fall asleep in school, which can cause you to miss crucial information. With little sleep you may also find it hard to focus.

Consistent lack of sleep can have long term effects as well. Constant insufficient sleep can lead to a lower life expectancy.  Furthermore, it could lead to increased chances of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. 

There is no set recommended amount of sleep you should get each night. It varies from person to person. According to nationewidechildrens.org, teenagers need around nine to nine and a half hours of sleep per night, while the average teenager only gets about seven hours of sleep.  As mentioned earlier, this is due to students’ terribly busy schedules and huge homework loads. 

In many cases students sign up for too many hard classes without a study hall, which can cause a student to stay up late studying for a test or doing homework. This heavy workload can add extra stress. The stress along with the lack of sleep can have detrimental effects on a students health. 

Both the stress and unhealthy sleep schedules of students can cause many harmful things. Stress can lead to kids losing interest in their extracurricular activities and low performance in school. Students also have many other responsibilities they have to deal with which also add to their load.