Recapping Gem City Shine

John Rick, Inside BHS Section Editor

This weekend Dave Chappelle hosted the Gem City Shine event in Dayton. Artists such as Stevie Wonder, Chance The Rapper, and Kanye West were a part of this event. Dave Chappelle hosted this event in hopes to honor the lives of those lost in the shooting this summer. 

The event was meant to reunite the community and bring the people of Dayton together for a night of fun. After the dramatic shooting in the Oregon District this summer, the event was supposed to help the area recover. The area was hurt after the shooting and this event was meant to help soothe some of the area’s pain. 

Dave Chappelle set this up as a charity event. The money from the event goes to the families affected by the tragedy. The exact money raised from this weekend is not known, but the police estimated an attendance of around 30,000 to 35,000 people. That large crowd must have raised a good amount of money and brought attention to Dayton and the victims. Cole Baker, a Junior at Beavercreek High School, went to the event and said this about it, “It was a great event. Dave Chappelle was a great host and I thought the event was good for Dayton and the Oregon District.” This event should help soothe the Oregon District and hopefully the money helps the victims. 

Make sure to check out the Beavercreek Beacon website (Beavercreekbeacon.com) for more information about the school. Also if you have not yet, check the Beavercreek beacon Instagram and Twitter for updates (search Beavercreek Beacon).