Living the Marching Band Lifestyle

Back to Article
Back to Article

Living the Marching Band Lifestyle

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

Choosing to be a member of the Beavercreek High School Marching Band and Color Guard is choosing to adopt a lifestyle.  From the rigorous practice and performance schedules, to the bonds formed in the more than three hundred person group, being a member of the marching band or color guard can be exhausting but also very fun.

One of the main parts to adapting to the Beavercreek High School Marching Band and Color Guard is getting used to the rigorous practice and performance schedule.  Practices on a regular week include percussionists practicing from 4:15 to 7:00 on Mondays, color guard and all of the wind instruments practicing from 4:15 to 6:15 Tuesdays, and everyone practicing from 4:15 to 6:15 on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  Along with this schedule, each section has a sectional time throughout the week where their section practices alone for about an hour. Before each practice, the members of the marching band and color guard have an hour-long study hall from fifteen minutes after school ends to when practice starts that day where we work on homework while the practice lot clears out.

Now after the practices, you have to think about the performances.  The first few performances of the marching band are from the many football games that they go to to support the football team.  Other than the football games, the marching band performs in the 4th of July parade, the homecoming parade, and the Popcorn Festival.  Later on in the season, the marching band travels to compete at competitions all over Ohio.

Other than the practice and performance schedules, throughout the marching band season the more than three hundred person group spends a ton of time together and creates lasting bonds that will last through the rest of high school.