Cross Country Starting Strong

Mark Rick, Opinion Section Editor

This weekend the men’s and women’s cross country teams had a busy weekend running at the Troy Invitational as well as the Mason Invite. The men’s team took first place at Troy despite not having their second and fifth runners. Leading them to their first place overall finish was junior, Connor Ewert, who placed second. Alongside Connor Ewert, sophomore Keegan Souhan got sixth place, junior Ryan Massie placed eighth, sophomore Andrew Woodard placed 20th, and junior Brendon Baker placed 28th place. This first place finish lands the men’s team as the seventh best team in the state. 

The men’s JV team also had a successful weekend, placing first place out of 20 teams. The JV team was led by freshman Hudson Lee, who got third place overall. If both men’s teams continue to run as they have, this looks like a successful season. 

The women also had a busy weekend and placed sixth place overall out of 28 teams at the Mason Invitational. Senior Jodie Pierce and junior Juliann Williams lead the team placing second and third overall. Other runners who scored for varsity were sophomore Megan Nowe, freshman Jamie Confer, and junior Ashtyn Gluck. 

The women’s team is currently ranked the best in the state. What’s even more impressive is that they are ranked sixth in the entire nation. Hopefully the girls team can keep up the good work and get a repeat state championship. 

The women’s JV team followed varsity and got seventh out of 25. The 35th and 37th place finishes by Carline Howley and Lisa May lead the team to their top ten finishes.  This weekend was very successful for every team as they all placed in the top ten of their races. 

With all the success this weekend from all teams, it goes without saying that we can expect a good season, but it’s not all about results. You can also make lasting relationships while running cross country. Junior Mia Wazgar says, “going on long runs with your group really creates a bond you wouldn’t typically find with other people.”