Cross Country Starting Strong

Mark Rick, Opinion Section Editor

This weekend the mens and womens Cross Country teams had a busy weekend running at the Troy Invitational as well as the Mason Invite. The men’s team took first place at Troy despite not having their second and fifth runners. Leading them to their first place overall finish was Connor Ewert who placed second. Alongside Connor, Keegan Souhan got sixth place, Ryan Massie placed eighth, Andrew Woodard placed 20th, and Brendon Baker placed 28th place. This first place finish put the men’s team as the seventh best team in the state. 

The men’s JV team also had a successful weekend placing first place out of 20 teams. The JV team was led by Freshman Hudson Lee who got third place overall. If both men’s teams continue to run as they have this looks like a successful season. 

The women also had a busy weekend and placed sixth place overall out of 28 teams. Jodie Pierce and Juliann Williams lead the team placing second and third overall. Other runners who scored for varsity were Megan Nowe, Jamie Confer, and Ashtyn Gluck. 

The women’s team is currently ranked the number one team in the state. What’s even more impressive is that they are ranked the sixth in the entire nation. Hopefully the girls team can keep up the good work and get a repeat state championship. We are all rooting for you. 

The women’s JV team followed varsity and got seventh out of 25. 35th and 37th place finishes by Carline Howley and Lisa May lead the team to their top ten finishes.  This weekend was very successful for every team as they all placed in the top ten of their races. 

With all the success this weekend from all teams we can expect a good season, but it’s not all about results. You can also make lasting relationships, while running cross country. Junior, Mia Wazgar, says, “going on long runs with your group really creates a bond you wouldn’t typically find with other people.”