Managing Your Stress Levels

Spencer Hancock, Sports Section Editor

High School isn’t easy. There are so many different aspects of life to balance with friends, school, extra curriculars, family, etc.  It can be hard for students to keep themselves together and manage their own stress levels when dealing with all of these parts of life. 

When attempting to manage your stress levels, it is crucial that you stay away from caffeine or alcohol because they can actually increase your stress levels and reduce your ability to focus on the tasks you need to complete. Making sure you get enough sleep is another important part of managing your stress for similar reasons. If you don’t get enough sleep, you will have trouble focusing.

Another important part of relaxing has to do with physical activity. Making sure you exercise will help you put your body in a more relaxed state and stabilize your fight or flight hormones. Similarly, relaxation or meditation strategies will be able to help you relax and calm your body down. 

One other strategy includes talking to someone you can trust about what is stressing you out. This person could give you more guidance about what is stressing you out and allow you to understand the problem in a new way.

Managing your time is another big way to reduce your stressed. Once you have a firm grasp on your schedule and your time, you will have an easier time remaining relaxed and not getting behind on important things. 

These strategies and solutions may sound simple, but I can assure you that they will help. If you spend time trying out these stress-relieving strategies then they will help you to remain more relaxed in the future and enjoy life in a better way. These strategies will help you to excel in school and in the years ahead.