Applying for NHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Applying for NHS

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

NHS applications are out!  The National Honor Society is a nationwide organization for high school students in the United States and outlying territories, which consists of many chapters in high schools.  To apply for the Beavercreek High School National Honor Society, you must have received an email from Mrs. Burcham with the application letter. To have received this email, you must have had a GPA of 3.6 or higher.

In the application to get into the Beavercreek Chapter of the National Honor Society, you are evaluated in the areas of Scholarship, Character, Service, and Leadership.  These are called the four pillars. Receiving the email from Mrs. Burcham means that you have met the scholarship requirements. The rest of the application includes an evaluation of character, service, and leadership. 

The application addresses Leadership by asking for all of your leadership positions and extra/co-curricular activities.  After that, the application addresses service and asks the applicants to list all of their service hours, which is expected to be around 20 hours of service per year of high school.  Finally, the application looks at character by asking the applicant to list their classroom teachers, coaches, and advisors. These people may then be asked by the Faculty Council, the teacher representatives of NHS, about the character of the applicant.

When asked about NHS applications coming in, Mr. Bisignani, one of the teachers on the Faculty Council, said, “Mrs. Burcham and I always get excited around this time of year because we get to induct a whole new class of members into NHS.  We are always very humbled by the amount of service our applicants do. They are required to have 40 hours and they often have over 100 hours. We look forward to working with the new class.” Applications are due no later than 3:15 PM on Friday, October 11th, 2019.  No exceptions will be made, so make sure to get on top of things and apply for the Beavercreek High School National Honor Society!