Kings Island Retires Vortex

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kings Island Retires Vortex

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

For everyone who enjoys big, thrilling roller coasters, it is sad to hear that the classic Kings Island roller coaster the Vortex  will be closing on October 27. While most coasters of this type typically last around 25 to 30 years, Vortex is currently in its 33rd season.  Sadly, the amusement park has said that Vortex “simply reached the end of its service life.”

When Vortex first opened in 1987 at Kings Island, it was the tallest full-circuit roller coaster with the highest drop in the world! Along with this, Vortex was also the first roller coaster in the world with six inversions.  Now Vortex is giving its final rides before closing down for good in only a couple weeks. For the remainder of the season, Gold and Platinum season passholders are being given the opportunity for exclusive Vortex early ride time on Saturdays and Sundays before the park opens to the public.

Over the past 33 seasons, according to Kings Island, there have been more than 45 million riders on the Vortex. Only six other attractions have given more rides since Kings Island opened its gates in 1972.  Throughout this time, Vortex has flipped riders upside down more than 275,000,000 times!

Retiring the Vortex is an issue of great controversy.  Junior Emily Macbeth states, “I really want to ride it before it closes, but I hate it.”  Many other people share this contrasting view. There are many people who are glad that Vortex is being retired because they have not liked how rickety the ride had become. These people look forward to a new ride to take its place.  While this is the view of many amusement park goers, there is still a plethora of people who are very disappointed in losing this iconic coaster. Evidence of this can be seen by just looking at the Kings Island website article about closing down the coaster; there are over 100 comments of people saying how sad they are about Vortex retiring.

Make sure to get one last ride on the Vortex before it rides into history as one of the retired attractions of Kings Island.