Trump Faces Possible Impeachment

Mark Rick, Opinion Section Editor

If you have watched any news in the past week, you have probably seen that the House has put in an impeachment inquiry. President Donald Trump recently met with the leader of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky. A “whistleblower” later revealed that Trump tried to get information on his political opponent, Joe Biden, from Selensky and threatened to take away resources the United States was giving Ukraine. 

If this “whistleblower” is telling the truth, Trump would be interfering with international affairs for his own political gain. With this Nancy Pelosi announced an impeachment inquiry. The inquiry has sparked national debate. Democrats and Republicans have been violently debating whether Trump should be impeached. For the most part, Democrats favor impeachment and Republicans are against it. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part this is the case. 

As all this was happening, Trump has been tweeting as he normally does. Some of his tweets have been very controversial, like his tweet about the “whistleblower,” “….In addition, I want to meet not only my accuser, who presented SECOND & THIRD HAND INFORMATION, but also the person who illegally gave this information, which was largely incorrect, to the “Whistleblower.” Was this person SPYING on the U.S. President? Big Consequences!” Instead of addressing his accusations, he harassed the “whistleblower” by saying he was wrong for reporting the incident. 

Many people think the impeachment will pass in the House, but once it goes to the Senate it will lose in a landslide. This is because the House is controlled by Democrats and most Democrats agree with the impeachment. It’s the opposite for the Senate: the Senate is controlled by Republicans, who generally are against impeachment. 

AP Gov student Eric Anderson said, “I believe that Trump should be impeached and removed from office. I believe that Pence could do much more to compromise with the democrats and pass good legislation.” Eric shares the same opinion as many Americans. Many Americans believe Trump should be impeached, but it will be hard to impeach Trump with the Republican Senate.